The Regular Category is a challenge based competition. Students must design, construct and program their robots to solve specific challenges on a field. Points are scored for completed tasks.
Regular Category characteristics:
- Three age groups: Elementary (up to 12y), Junior (13-15y) and Senior (16-19y.)
- Hardware: The controller, motors and sensors used to assemble robots must be from LEGO® MINDSTORMS® sets (NXT or EV3). The HiTechnic Color Sensor is the only third-party element that can be added to this configuration. Only LEGO branded elements may be used to construct the remaining parts of the robot.
- Software: The use of programming software depends on the age group:
- For Elementary and Junior age group only LEGO® RoboLab, NXT and EV3 software are allowed.
- For Senior age group, any software and any firmware can be run on NXT / EV3 controllers.
- Maximum robot size: 25cm x 25cm x 25cm.
- Surprise Rule: A surprise rule will be announced when the competition starts, to test the team’s ability to adapt their hardware or programming. (Note: some member countries have a slightly different approach to the surprise rule.)
- Assembly: The teams bring their robot completely disassembled. In the first part of the competition they will have 150 minutes to assemble their robots from loose parts without instructions.
- Team: A team consists of 1 coach and 2 or 3 team members.
For all specific rules and regulations refer to our General Rules!