The Open Category is a project based competition. Students create their own intelligent robotics solution relating to the current theme of the season. Teams will present their project and their robot model to a group of judges on the competition day.
Open Category characteristics:
- Three age groups:
- Elementary (8-12y)
- Junior (12-15y)
- Senior (15-19y) (20y in 2021)
- Hardware: There is no restriction on the balance between LEGO® elements and other materials. There is no restriction on the use of controllers. Teams at WRO International Final have the option to win the LEGO Education creativity award if they mainly use NXT / EV3 / SPIKE (LEGO) controllers.
- Software: Free choice of programming language / software.
- Maximum size: Teams present the idea in a 2m x 2m x 2m booth on the competition day.
- Team: A team consists of 2 or 3 team members and is guided by a coach.
For all specific rules and regulations refer to the General Rules for Open Category!
The WeDo Open Challenge is designed for younger children (6-10y). The team makes an exhibition that shows automated machinery and robots that can help solve a problem related to the theme of the season. WeDo is only offered at a national level, and our National Organizers are free to adapt rules and regulations for their competition.
For all specific rules and regulations refer to the rules for WeDo and the information your National Organizer will give you.