We are introducing a fun new Regular Category competition format: the “2nd Day Challenge”. It has been tested at the Friendship Invitational 2019 in Denmark and has been part of the official competition program at WRO 2019 in Hungary.
The 2nd Day Challenge will mainly test your programming skills. You will get to demonstrate your creativity by solving little surprise challenges.
On Sunday morning the Judges will explain & show the challenge to you at each game table. You will also get them on paper (in English), with illustrations.
The new challenges will be easy to understand. Coaches will only be included when it is necessary to translate something.
For the 2nd Day Challenge we will use the same game mat as for the normal game. We will also use the same game elements. But we can also add something new, like we sometimes also do for a surprise rule.
So, you do not need to rebuild your robot. (But you can if you really want to…)
- There will be 3 missions you can do to score points. You can do one, or you can combine them.
- The normal Regular rules (starting position, size, time of the run, etc.) will still count.
- You have 3 hours “Test & Attempt Time”. In that time, you can think of a strategy, re-build, re-program, test and practice as much as you want.
- If you feel that your robot works, you can call a judge to make an official attempt. The judge will score the robot run and this counts as an official score.
- Every team has three official attempts to solve the 2nd Day Challenge.
You can do an attempt any time you want.
But: Your first attempt should be done before 10:30, your second attempt before 11:30 and your third attempt before 12:30. (See below.)
We are sure that you will have fun solving this challenge with your team!
We have tested this concept for the first time at the WRO Friendship Invitational in summer 2019 in Aarhus, Denmark.
You can download the challenges from Denmark here.
In addition, you find the scoring in our WRO Scoring System:
It is the idea that the teams organize themselves by being in time for the attempts. They need to do the 1st one before 10:30, the 2nd one before 11:30 and the last one before 12:30.
Every team that has called a judge before these particular times (10:30/11:30/12:30) will be allowed to do their official attempts.
In this situation, the competition will be stopped until all teams have finalized their attempts.
The final ranking order for Regular Category will be determined as follows:
- Sum of points from best run from Day 1 and best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- Sum of time from best run from Day 1 and best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- Points of best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- Time of best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- Points of 2. best run from Day 1
- Time of 2. best run from Day 1
- Points of 2. best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- Time of 2. best run from 2nd Day Challenge
- After that, teams are ranked the same place.