The WRO Foundation supports the WRO Association in its efforts to promote robotics in STEM education worldwide.
In the short term, the WRO Foundation will work to achieve the following goals:
Increase the number of teams participating in WRO local and national competitions, resulting in more teams from the US participating in the international final; and
- Increase engagement with major universities, institutions, corporations and foundations, raising the visibility and supporting the growth of WRO throughout the US.
Working closely with the US National Organizer (www.wro-usa.org), the WRO Foundation will ensure that more American youth - especially girls and youth from disadvantaged backgrounds – can participate in worldwide robotics competitions. In 2018, 320 teams from 20 states were involved in World Robot Olympiad events. The WRO Foundation has set a goal to grow this number to more than 5,000 teams in the next five years.
Moving forward, the WRO Foundation will provide the resources necessary for the WRO Association to achieve its long-term goals:
- Establish entrepreneurial competitions, combining robotics with business
- Targeted growth, both geographically (focus on Africa, North America, and Europe) and in diversity (increase participation by girls and members of marginalized communities)
- Produce and publish a longitudinal study on WRO’s impact
- Provide enhanced organizational support for developing countries
- Establish a university partner program, including providing scholarships for WRO participants
- Develop new competition concepts (e.g. virtual robotics, one-day challenges, etc.)
- Establish alumni networks and other affinity groups