a worldwide competition
World Robot Olympiad Association is a non-profit organization. All revenue from sponsorships and fees is invested in support of our mission, which is to promote robotics in STEM education worldwide.
World Robot Olympiad aims to bring together young people all over the world to develop their creativity and problem solving skills. We do that by organizing challenging and educational robotics competitions.
World Robot Olympiad is dedicated to:
- Offer young people the opportunity to expand their horizons through exploration of robots and robotic systems.
- Widen the view of young people and encourage them to be our future scientists, engineers, makers and inventors.
- Help young people acquire 21st century skills like creative thinking, cooperation and communication.
- Help introduce the concept of modern science into educational activities.
- Promote robotics in STEM education worldwide.
- Bring together young people from all over the world to measure their skills and have fun at our annual international final.
World Robot Olympiad or WRO was founded in 2004. The mission statement of our founders was:
“To bring together young people all over the world to develop their creativity, design and problem solving skills through challenging and educational robot competitions and activities.”
It was decided that the annual WRO international final would be hosted by a different country each year. In 2004, the event was hosted by Singapore and 12 countries participated. Only ten years later teams from 48 countries travelled to Sochi in Russia for the international final!
Today, the competition that started small in a few Asian countries has expanded to over 75 countries spread over all continents, making WRO a truly global event.
Since 2010 World Robot Olympiad Association Ltd. is officially registered as a legal entity with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) in Singapore.
You can find a list of all former hosts of the international finals on our Previous Challenges page.